We’re thrilled this week to characteristic French pastry grasp Nicolas Lambert, Government Pastry Chef on the 4 Seasons in St. Petersburg, Russia.
Nicolas has pastry in his blood as his household owns a bakery in northeastern France. It’s there the place Nicolas began to be taught the ins and outs of the commerce from a really early age, earlier than getting his diploma as a chocolatier.
He labored in France in his early profession, profitable many awards, earlier than transferring to Hong Kong, the place he labored on the two Michelin-starred Caprice restaurant.
Only one 12 months later he was awarded the accolade of Finest Pastry Chef in Hong Kong and Macau. In 2018, after celebrating his thirtieth birthday, Nicolas grew to become Asia’s Finest Pastry Chef based on The World’s 50 Finest Eating places.
1. What made you determine to grow to be a chef?
My papa, as a result of I used to be born in my dad and mom bakery.
2. The place did you prepare to prepare dinner?
From 10 years previous with my dad after faculty within the night.
3. Inform us about your work at 4 Seasons St. Petersburg.
I’m Government Pastry Chef of the lodge, which comprises 220 rooms. We even have 3 eating places and a bar with a crew of 12 folks.
4. Earlier than coming to St. Petersburg, you labored at Caprice in Hong Kong. What was the strain to carry out like within the two Michelin-star restaurant?
Sure, truly it’s an on a regular basis strain. On a regular basis you combat in order to not lose a star but additionally to win one. It was a pleasure for me to spend these years in an excellent restaurant like Caprice.
5. Why did you select to maneuver from Hong Kong to St. Petersburg?
An important skilled alternative, to have the ability to develop and retouch in all areas (tea time, facilities, bakery, and so forth.).
6. How is the meals tradition in St. Petersburg totally different from that in Hong Kong?
St. Petersburg resembles far more an excellent European capital on a culinary degree. Folks desire extra candy than in Asia.
7. Do you will have a signature dish or a favourite dish that you simply like to prepare dinner?
I like Paris Brest in winter and the Fraisier in summer time.
8. What’s your favourite ingredient to work with?
I’d say lime: I exploit it just like the prepare dinner makes use of his pepper.
9. The place do you discover inspiration?
Throughout me. For instance, in nature, town, a museum and so forth.
10. What do few folks find out about you?
That I’ve a twin brother and that I do paragliding.
11.What’s the most underrated foodie vacation spot?
I’d say right here in St. Petersburg. For me it was a really massive shock as a result of I’m at all times so amazed by the culinary improvement of this metropolis.
12. What’s the finest dessert you will have ever had?
Antoine Santos‘s “Gaia Cake” in Tokyo.
13. You might be top-of-the-line pastry cooks on the planet. What units an excellent chief of the pack aside from the remainder?
I don’t assume I’m top-of-the-line. I simply do my job with ardour and I had the prospect to be taught excellent fundamentals with the nice cooks that I used to be capable of work with. I at all times attempt my very own pastry model and imaginative and prescient first. That is the toughest within the present time with social networks.
14. What recommendation would you give to somebody who needs to grow to be a profitable baker?
By no means depend the hours of labor. Work repeatedly with a view to good your work. It’s a guide commerce which requires a variety of apply earlier than you’ll be able to grasp it, and always remember that the bases are by far a very powerful.
15. Please present some recommendation to residence cooks to assist them enhance their cooking.
It’s at all times harder to prepare dinner at residence, so individually I at all times do easy and gourmand issues that require little tools. It’s actually very troublesome to breed what we do in a office at residence, and infrequently the only issues are the toughest to do!
Pastry Chef Nicolas Lambert
4 Seasons St. Petersburg. Fb | Instagram